- We are a private RTO and therefore government funding is not available. Please check eligibility requirements before enquiring
Our nationally accredited HLT33115 Certificate III in Health Services Assistance will help you turn your passion for people into a rewarding career. You will learn to work with patients under supervision of professional health staff and make a difference to the experience of hospital patients. Unlock a strong foundation for support roles in health settings today.
Who's It For?
If you are looking to start a career in healthcare, and get a taste of what the industry has to offer, Open Colleges’ Certificate III in Health Services Assistance is perfect for you.
Please note: This course is not suitable for students wishing to obtain employment as an Assistant in Nursing (AIN) in NSW and Western Australian hospital settings. Students wishing to become an AIN in NSW and WA will need to complete HLT33115 Certificate III in Health Services Assistance (Assisting in nursing work in acute care). Unfortunately, Open Colleges does not offer this course.
If you are an existing worker or have experience in the related industry, please inform our enrolment consultants during your enrolment conversation. You may be eligible to enrol as an existing worker and complete your studies faster. Please note – limitations do apply.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Nursing Assistant
- Patient Care Assistant
- Patient Support Assistant
- Ward Assistant
- Ward Support
What You'll Learn
The HLT33115 Certificate III in Health Services Assistance will equip you to assist Nurses and health professionals in the treatment of patients who are struggling with illness and injury. During your study you will learn how to:
- Communicate effectively and build relationships with health professionals and clients.
- Effectively work within the health and community services sector.
- Understand the human body and how it works.
- Provide first aid.
- Perform general cleaning tasks in a clinical setting.
- Help and assist clients with movement.
- Provide transportation for clients unable to transport themselves.
- Help clients to maintain oral hygiene.
- Respond effectively to behaviours of concern.
- Organise and prioritise your workload.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- Course duration: The duration for the course is maximum 18 months. As a self-paced online course, the time it will take you to complete is flexible and dependent on ability and time available
- Recommended hours per week: 16h
- Delivery method: Online with Work Placement
This course does not require specific formal education qualifications. However, you must be a minimum of 18 years old to enrol. At Open Colleges, we’re passionate about helping you choose courses that are a perfect fit for your individual goals and aspirations. Please note that this course is not open to student visa holders. For personalised assistance and more information, please enquire now.
This course contains a minimum of 120 hours of work placement.
What are the benefits?
- By undertaking a work placement you’ll get a chance to put the knowledge you’ve learned on your course into practice
- You’ll also develop practical, on-the-job skills and could make contacts that could help you find a job once you graduate
- Work placement is often the most rewarding part of a student’s course. Working face-to-face with clients and colleagues in your chosen field makes a huge difference to your career confidence
If you’d like to learn more about the work placement component of this course, get the course guide for further details.
Recognition Of Prior Learning
We value the diverse skills and expertise you may have gained from various sources. These experiences can be acknowledged through our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process
For a more comprehensive understanding of our RPL procedure, please refer to our Credit Transfer & Recognition of Prior Learning Policy, available in the Key Student Information section of our website. Alternatively, you can contact an Enrolment Consultant to discuss your RPL options.
- Multiple choice Quiz
- Role plays
- Work Placement
- Written assignments
Your learning materials are accessed through OpenSpace. These include:
- Online learning content
- Online forums
- Rich media
- You will also be provided with the following textbooks:
- Martin, E. & McFerran, T. (2011) Oxford Minidictionary for Nurses, 6th Edition. United Kingdon: Oxford University Press. This textbook will be provided on enrolment into the course.
- Reid-Searl, K., Dwyer, T., Moxham, L. & Ryan, J. (2014) Nursing Student’s Clinical Survival Guide, 3rd Edition. Australia: Pearson. This textbook will be provided on enrolment into Module 3.
Open Colleges offers this qualification in association with Integrated Care & Management Training Pty Ltd (Provider number: 90197). The testamur will be issued by Integrated Care & Management Training Pty Ltd.
- Work with information about the human body
- Recognise and promote ways to support healthy functioning of the body
- Respond appropriately to instructions which contain medical terminology
- Carry out routine tasks
- Use appropriate medical terminology in oral and written communication
- Follow standard and additional precautions for infection prevention and control
- Identify infection hazards and assess risks
- Follow procedures for managing risks associated with specific hazards
- Identify behaviour and plan response
- Apply response
- Report and review incidents
- Communicate effectively with people
- Collaborate with colleagues
- Address constraints to communication
- Report problems to supervisor
- Complete workplace correspondence and documentation
- Contribute to continuous improvement
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)