Take the next step in your construction career, and get the skills to work as a Builder or Construction Manager, with Open Colleges’ Certificate IV in Building and Construction (CPC40110).
With the Certificate IV, you not only get a high quality education, but a nationally recognised qualification that you can use all across Australia.
Who's It For?
- The Certificate IV is perfect for people with some experience in the building and construction industry, and who are looking to step up and become a Builder or Construction Manager
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Construction Manager
What You'll Learn
- Prepare building sketches and drawings
- Read and interpret plans and specifications
- Apply building codes and standards to construction projects
- Produce building and construction cost estimates
- Create and prepare construction contracts
- Produce labour and material schedules for ordering, and apply site surveys and set out procedures
- Manage site WHS, apply legal requirements to projects and manage small business finance
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- Maximum 18 months
The course is delivered online, so there are no classrooms and no deadlines. You simply study where you want, when you want, on any device that you have nearby (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop computer).
You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
This course involves reading and undertaking a range of written assessments, as well as engaging in online forums and discussions. Furthermore, the delivery mode relies on the extensive use of written communication. As such, entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 10 level.
If you haven’t successfully completed English at Year 10 level, you can demonstrate equivalency through one of the following:
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate III level or higher; or
- 3 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication
The Certificate IV meets the education requirements for registration as a licensed builder in QLD, ACT, TAS and NT. As licensing varies from state to state, there may be extra requirements necessary to register. Chat to an Open Colleges’ Enrolment Consultant for more information on how to meet the requirements for your state.
NSW Fair Trading, the SA Consumer and Business Services (CBS), the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) and Builders Registration Board of WA might evaluate this qualification as part of a broader consideration of your experience and knowledge for registration as a licensed builder.
Your learning materials are accessed through OpenSpace. These include:
- Online discussions
- Access to a professional technical library
- Digital toolbox
- Simulated procedures and policies
Recognition Of Prior Learning
We understand that you may already have many skills and areas of expertise that you have obtained in different ways and these are recognised through our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.
- Case studies
- Demonstrations and Presentations
- Knowledge tests
- Multiple choice questions
- Oral questions
- Scenario-based questions
- Short-answer questions
Open Colleges offers this qualification in association with Integrated Care & Management Training Pty Ltd (Provider number: 90197). The testamur will be issued by Integrated Care & Management Training Pty Ltd.
- Prepare to make sketches and drawings
- Create simple sketches and drawings
- Notate and process drawings
- Identify types of drawings and their purposes
- Apply commonly used symbols and abbreviations
- Locate and identify key features on a site plan
- Identify and locate key features on drawings
- Correctly read and interpret specifications
- Identify non-structural aspects to the specification
- Access and interpret relevant code and standard requirements
- Classify buildings
- Analyse and apply a range of solutions to a construction problem for compliance with the BCA
- Apply fire protection requirements
- Apply structural principles when planning the erection or demolition of a structure
- Analyse and plan for the structural integrity of Class1 and Class 10 buildings
- Plan, coordinate and manage the laying of footings
- Plan, coordinate and manage the laying of floor system
- Plan, coordinate and manage the building of structural and non-structural wall systems
- Plan, coordinate and manage the building of roof system
- Plan, coordinate and manage the external wall cladding of structure
- Apply structural principles to the planning of the erection or demolition of a structure
- Analyse and plan for the structural integrity of Class 2 to 9 buildings
- Plan, coordinate and manage laying of footing systems
- Plan, coordinate and manage laying of floor system
- Plan, coordinate and manage the building of structural wall systems and wall cladding systems
- Plan, coordinate and manage the building of structural roof systems and roof cladding systems
- Read and interpret plans and specifications
- Identify and calculate labour costs
- Identify and establish physical resource requirements
- Develop estimated project costs
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)