- This course is delivered with Skills First Funding for eligible individuals
- This course is only available to Australian or New Zealand Citizens or Permanent Residents.
The qualification CHC40221 – Certificate IV in School Based Education Support is referred to in industry as the Cert 4 Education Support or your teacher’s aide course. Education support workers assist teachers and support student learning in a range of primary and secondary classroom settings under the guidance of a teacher or other educational professional. To complete the Cert IV Education Support, the individual must complete at least 100 hours of work in a classroom environment catering to primary or secondary school students, within at least one approved school.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Education Assistant
- Education Support Worker
- Teacher aide
- Support worker
- Home tutor
- Multicultural worker
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- The course is delivered over 32 weekly sessions (27 theory classes + 4 practical skills classes + 1 first aid class)
- 100 hours of practical placement with 2 assessor workplace visits
- Self-paced learning, which is approximately 15 hours per week
- It is expected that the course could take you 10 months to complete, though this can vary from person to person
The following delivery methods are available:
- Blended: Live online classes via teams + in person skills sessions. You will require a computer with a camera and microphone to undertake this delivery option.
- Classroom Based: All sessions delivered in one of our classroom locations in Melbourne.
- Participate in an Information Session & Pre-Training Review
- Complete an enrolment form
- Access to a computer or smart device and the internet to complete your studies
- Language literacy and numeracy must be at or above AQF Level 3
- Must be available at a minimum one day a week for 5 hours and have the ability to undertake 100 hours placement at an approved primary or secondary school
Practical placement is on-the-job training that you undertake during your course. This is a fantastic opportunity to practice the skills you are learning in the classroom in a supported manner.
This course requires you to complete 100 hours in the workplace. A workplace trainer will visit you in the workplace to observe and assess competency in skills towards the end of your placement hours.
All learning content and assessments are on Canvas our Learning Management System (LMS).
- Theory questions and quizzes
- Projects, assignments and case studies
- Log book of hours completed during placement
- Practical demonstrations in simulation and the workplace
- Oral questions
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), Recognition of Current Competency (RCC) and Credit Transfer (CT) are available
About Melbourne College of Further Education
Melbourne College of Further Education (MCFE) is a small and trusted RTO with over 20 years’ experience in training, supporting and inspiring students to succeed in their chosen pathway. We believe in real skills for real jobs, we take the extra time to customise our course materials and create new and innovative ways of delivering course content.
As a Registered Training Organisation [RTO] qualifications completed with MCFE are recognised nationally. Qualifications achieved through the Australian VET system are also very highly regarded internationally. Our mission is to provide pathways into industry to contribute to a successful, skilled and innovative workforce.
MCFE offers high quality training both face to face and via a blended online model, offering students options to undertake our courses in a way that best suits their lifestyle.
Our trainers are dedicated and highly qualified with extensive practical industry experience and committed to providing quality outcomes to our students and ensuring that all training is both engaging and an enjoyable experience.
Our student support team are extremely passionate and committed to helping students succeed. They are always on hand to help with any questions and provide students with the support they may need to complete the course satisfactorily, especially if circumstances change.
Melbourne College of Further Education is a trading name of iAscend Polytechnic (RTO 21340)