The demand for specialist nursing in mental health has never been greater.
With the Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Nursing, you can gain a strong foundation in mental health nursing with four units of study to help you build your career.
You will develop your understanding of mental ill-health and examine common mental illnesses with a contemporary curriculum designed by mental health nursing experts.
After completing this course, you will be able to deliver mental health nursing practice and produce better outcomes for patients. You will also be able to continue your studies with the Graduate Diploma in Mental Health Nursing, followed by the Master of Mental Health Nursing.
What You'll Learn
With VU Online’s Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Nursing, you’ll enhance your knowledge and skills in evidence-based assessment and intervention approaches in mental health. This course positions you to take on mental health care coordination and community mental health service roles.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- 8 months, part-time
- 4 units (7 weeks each)
- This degree is offered through VU Online’s postgraduate Block Model, winner of the LearnX Live! Award 2021 ‘Best Online Learning Model’.
- Instead of taking two or three units a semester, you will study one unit at a time in six study periods per year. This offers you more flexibility than traditional on-campus degrees and the opportunity to immerse yourself in your study.
- At VU Online, we take a personalised 1:1 approach to online learning, which makes learning with us highly interactive and supported.
- Completed an AQF Level 7 Bachelor of Nursing, or equivalent qualification AND;
- Registration as a Registered Nurse (Division 1) OR Registered Midwife with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) OR equivalent registration with the relevant registering authority for applicants outside of Australia AND;
- Completed a minimum of one year of full-time clinical experience, or the part-time equivalent, as a registered nurse and have clinical support in a mental health specialty area OR provide written confirmation from their employer that they are employed in a mental health setting.
Award-winning study model
Our postgraduate online Block Model, winner of the LearnX Live! Award 2021 ‘Best Online Learning Model’, recognises the complexity of students’ lives while giving a consistent, manageable and connected online learning experience.
Support 7 days and in the evenings
Get the support you need, when you need it. Our support network has a single focus on ensuring you are entirely supported to succeed.
Progress towards credentialing with the ACMHN
This degree meets the education requirements for the Australian College of Mental Health Nurses’ (ACMHN) Credential, the only nationally consistent standard for recognition of specialist mental health nurses.
Why Study With VU Online
Ranked among the world’s top two per cent of universities, VU Online is respected by employers and professionals alike.
We offer degrees that empower you to progress over time, putting your dream qualification in reach – regardless of educational background.
Known for industry-focused courses as well as high-calibre facilitators and academics, VU Online combines a track record in tertiary education that puts students first with a deep understanding of contemporary online learning.
Study with VU Online and you’ll be part of a vibrant, virtual community of like-minded peers, actively supported to achieve your professional goals.
About Victoria University Online
Internationally recognised as a leading university, Victoria University (VU) is ranked among the top two per cent of universities worldwide.
At VU Online, we make it easy to fit study around existing commitments including work, family and children. Our programs are delivered through VU Online’s postgraduate Block Model, winner of the LearnX Live! Award 2020 ‘Best Online Learning Model’.
Our postgraduate online Block Model is designed to be flexible, interactive and student-centred. Instead of taking two or three units a semester, you will study one unit at a time, offering you more flexibility than traditional on-campus degrees.
Our online learning platform is a virtual one-stop shop that helps you manage your study commitments 24/7. You will be able to access your coursework, resources, assignment details and individual feedback from facilitators, all in one place.
- A genuine online learning community
- Interactive, immersive learning - no exams or textbooks to purchase
- Delivered by experienced academics and facilitators
- 1:1 support via phone, email or SMS, seven days a week and in the evenings