Please note that if you are 16 or 17 years old, you will need to provide parental or guardian consent and guarantee to enrol in this course.
Looking to kickstart your photography career?
In Ulleo’s short course, you’ll learn how to get the most out of your camera and use light, colour and composition to create photos that make an impact. You’ll also learn how to refine your photos with post-production software and techniques used by the pros.
Once you’ve got the art and craft of photography down pat, you’ll learn how to turn your talents into a thriving business – with insights from a range of pro photographers.
Why Choose Ulleo?
- Learn directly from award-winning photographers as they walk you through their unique processes in a variety of contexts and exciting locations.
- Learn through engaging video content and put theory into practice with a range of activities, resources and projects.
- Receive expert guidance from your industry Course Mentor, including a dedicated 1:1 session to plan your future.
- Collaborate and network with guest speakers and peers through fortnightly Ulleo Live! workshops and webinars (enjoy over 95 hours of live content during your course!)
- Learn fully online at your own pace and receive dedicated learning support from Ulleo’s friendly Community Services team.
- Share your achievement with your network and future employers with a verified Digital Badge and Certificate of Completion.
- Get the most out of your Ulleo experience with a range of exclusive course benefits, including discounted photography products, tools, and services.
Who's It For?
- You want to learn essential photography skills: how to master your camera and lens, how to compose thoughtful photographs, how to use light and colour to create different stylistic effects, how to develop your unique photography style, and how to refine your images with editing software and techniques used by the pros.
- You want to learn how to turn photography into a thriving business, including building an online portfolio, brand and marketing strategy, pricing and quoting, communicating with clients and managing creative projects from start to finish.
- You want to learn directly from inspiring photographers from a range of photography genres and styles and watch how photography concepts are put into action.
- You want self-paced online learning that includes engaging videos, activities, case studies, resources, community discussions and livestream workshops and webinars.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Freelance Photographer
- Real Estate Photographer
- Wedding Photographer
- Fashion Photographer
- Portrait Photographer
- Landscape Photographer
- Commercial Photographer
- Content Creator
- Photo Editor
What You'll Learn
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Confidently navigate a digital or film camera and use every setting available.
- Correctly expose an image using shutter speed, aperture and ISO.
- Work with different lenses and understand their impact on your photographs.
- Describe the impact of photography and its history on society and culture.
- Define the different photography genres and your personal photography style.
- Use design principles and composition techniques to bring creative photography ideas to life.
- Use light and colour to create a range of different photographic effects.
- Conduct a post-production workflow and use basic photo editing techniques in Adobe Lightroom.
- Define a clear vision for your photography career and your goals to achieve it.
- Present a high-quality online portfolio featuring your best work.
- Utilise branding and marketing strategies to generate business opportunities.
- Accurately price and quote projects in line with your value.
- Manage your finances and uphold your tax and legal responsibilities.
- Utilise software to manage projects and streamline your admin and accounting tasks.
- Successfully collaborate and communicate with clients on a photography brief.
- Manage and deliver a successful creative project from start to finish.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
Duration Study Load
- Roughly 120-140 hours of learning
- Delivered fully online at your own pace
- 10 jam-packed lessons featuring videos, case studies, activities and resources
Ulleo’s courses are a fantastic way to upskill or unlock a new career path without the time and cost commitments of a full-time degree.
Learning directly from a number of high-profile professional photographers, Ulleo’s short course equips you with in-demand, up-to-date knowledge and skills. Once completed, you might move directly into the industry or pursue further study.
Pathways to Further Study
Ulleo partners with various Higher Education and Registered Training Providers so that you can continue your learning journey – often with academic credit and/or discounted course fees!
Digital Badge & Certificate of Completion
At the end of your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion and a Digital Badge (issued by Credly). This is a fantastic way to verify your knowledge and skills and stand out from the crowd to potential employers – simply add them to your LinkedIn profile, personal website or resume!
This course has been designed and delivered in collaboration with:
Christina Simons, an award-winning international documentary photographer who has worked in the visual arts industry for over 25 years. Her work focuses on humanitarian issues and cultural diversity and has been featured in publications such as The New York Times and The Guardian UK. Her passion for human rights has also led her to work with several NGOs such as the Medicines Sans Frontiers and UNICEF.
Richard Whitfield, an award-winning editorial, corporate and advertising photographer best known for his sophisticated lighting techniques. Richard’s most notable portraits include Sir Richard Branson, Sophie Monk, Geoffrey Rush and former PM Kevin Rudd. As a business success coach, Richard assists individuals to define their life and career goals, and build their employability and entrepreneurial skills in this highly competitive field.
During your studies with Ulleo, you’ll be able to attend fortnightly livestream sessions featuring your Course Mentor, peers and a variety of industry guest speakers.
These include hands-on workshops and Q&A panels and webinars that dive into new and exciting photography topics, for example:
- Tips and tricks for drone photography
- How to take amazing photographs on a smartphone
- Getting into the wedding photography industry
- Time-lapse and hyper-lapse photography
- A portrait photographer’s guide to posing people
- Going back to basics with film photography
Each session is recorded and uploaded to the learning platform for later viewing. Enjoy over 95 hours of live content during your course!
During your studies with Ulleo, you’ll receive dedicated support from your Course Mentor – award-winning Documentary Photographer Christina Simons.
- Detailed industry-standard feedback on your work
- Real-time discussions in fortnightly Ulleo Live! workshops and Q&As
- A dedicated 1:1 session to plan your future (at the end of your course)
With industry leaders at the helm, Ulleo’s short courses are built with collaboration, community, and creativity in mind.
Whether you are seeking your next career move or a passion project, our unique learning experience will provide knowledge and skills for now and into the future.
As a learner of Ulleo, you will access tailored support from industry mentors, along with a community of other learners to connect with. Delivered online, our courses empower learners with industry-led insights, interactive methods of learning, and tangible pathways to accredited study.
As a profit with purpose enterprise, sustainability is at the heart of what we do. Our partnership with Carbon Neutral and tree-planting initiative allows us to become part of the solution for the planet and future generations.
Love what you learn with Ulleo.