Suitable for home gardeners and sole traders, including handypersons, landscapers and gardeners, this nationally accredited course is delivered by industry experts and will teach you:
- How to recognise plants, prepare plant specimens and provide information on products and services.
- The fundamentals of planting, potting and maintaining trees, shrubs and plants.
- Soil testing and how to treat weeds, pests and diseases
- How to work effectively in the industry and Work Health and Safety practices.
Youll then choose one of three streams to develop your knowledge in a specialist area:
- In the Nursery stream youll discover how to maintain nursery plants, pot up plants and participate in environmentally sustainable work practices.
- The Parks and Gardens stream will teach you how to operate basic machinery, support turf establishment and maintain properties and structures.
- If you choose the Landscaping stream, youll learn how to operate basic machinery, lay paving and assist with landscape construction.
Whichever stream you choose will give you a deeper understanding of this growth area and help you develop in-demand, industry-specific skills.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Crop workers
- Horticulturalist Assistant
- Landscape Gardener
- Landscaping Assistant
- Nursery Assistant
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
Maximum 12 months.
There are no formal education entry requirements for this course.
You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
Demonstrations, Knowledge tests, Multiple Choice Questions, Oral questions, Presentations, Projects, Scenario-Based Question , Short-Answer Questions
The following resources will be provided to you in Study Period 1:
- Kitchen Herb Planter Kit
- Botanical Field Guide
- Combination Meter (Moisture, light and pH tester)
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)