- We are a private RTO and therefore government funding is not available. Please check eligibility requirements before enquiring
The AHC30716 Certificate III in Horticulture is designed to provide you with the tools to set you up for a vibrant career in horticulture. You’ll learn all about plant identification, pest and disease, weeds, propagation, soils and plant nutrition, and customer service. Nurture your love of greenery and enjoy an exciting career outdoors that will unlock many job opportunities.
The Australian nursery and garden businesses is a multi-billion-dollar industry that ‘plays a vital part in the human (community and personal), environmental and economic wellbeing of Australia’. Increased focus on food security and the ‘grow your own’ sector offers a range of opportunities for Horticulturalists while environmental initiatives like bushland regeneration and urban landscaping offer graduates the chance to make a lasting difference to the planet. Currently, local government is the key provider and manager of open spaces for their communities. Although, they may enter into partnerships with other organisations, including private providers.
Who's It For?
If you’re currently working in, or hoping to start a career in, horticulture and have a particular interest in managing large open spaces including, parks, sporting fields, playgrounds and other public spaces, then the Certificate III in Horticulture is for you.
If you are an existing worker or have experience in the related industry, please inform our enrolment consultants during your enrolment conversation. You may be eligible to enrol as an existing worker and complete your studies faster. Please note – limitations do apply.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Crop Workers
- Horticulturalist Assistant
- Landscape Gardener
- Landscaping Assistant
- Nursery Assistant
What You'll Learn
The Certificate III in Horticulture will teach you:
- How to recognise plants, prepare plant specimens and plant trees and shrubs.
- The fundamentals of installing and maintaining plan displays and nursery plants.
- The implementation of soil improvements for plant and turf areas, and plant nutrition programs.
- How to conduct site inspections and operational inspections of park facilities.
- Methods to control weeds, plant pests, diseases and disorders.
- How to implement a grassed area maintenance program.
- Effective contribution to Work Health and Safety practices.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- Course duration: The duration for the course is maximum 24 months. As a self-paced online course, the time it will take you to complete is flexible and dependent on ability and time available
- Recommended hours per week: 17.3h
- Delivery method: Online
This course does not require specific formal education qualifications. However, you must be a minimum of 18 years old to enrol. At Open Colleges, we’re passionate about helping you choose courses that are a perfect fit for your individual goals and aspirations. Please note that this course is not open to student visa holders. For personalised assistance and more information, please enquire now.
Recognition Of Prior Learning
We value the diverse skills and expertise you may have gained from various sources. These experiences can be acknowledged through our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process
For a more comprehensive understanding of our RPL procedure, please refer to our Credit Transfer & Recognition of Prior Learning Policy, available in the Key Student Information section of our website. Alternatively, you can contact an Enrolment Consultant to discuss your RPL options.
- Multiple choice Quiz
- Role plays
- Work Placement
- Written assignments
The following resources are provided to you via OpenSpace:
- Student workbooks
- Additional readings and resources
- Instructional videos
- Weblinks, articles and sources
- Course discussion forum
- Botanical field guide
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)