Make your dream of a graphic design career a reality with Open Colleges’ Graphic Design Pathway.
Want to be a graphic designer, but have no experience? Open Colleges Graphic Design Pathway is the answer! Combining the entry-level Graphic Design Essentials with the Diploma of Graphic Design, the Pathway covers everything you need to step straight into the professional design industry when you graduate.
Who's It For?
This Pathway program is perfect for people who are passionate about design, but who have no experience in the industry, or have not studied in a while. Combining the Graphic Design Essentials with the Diploma of Graphic Design means that you have a single progressive path to a graphic design career.
If you are an existing worker or have experience in the related industry, please inform our enrolment consultants during your enrolment conversation as you may be eligible to enrol as an existing worker and may be able to complete your studies faster.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Assistant web/digital designer
- Graphic operator
- Junior graphic designer
- Junior mac operator
- Package designer
What You'll Learn
- You will start your studies by covering graphic design essentials such as colour theory, typography, the design process and how to tackle design briefs
- Moving deeper into your studies you will learn how to create and manipulate graphics, the art of digital design, as well as how to master your own design processes
- You will also delve into design for branding and identity, mass print media ads, working with photo-media and advanced graphic design practices
- Designed to get you ready to launch into the industry, the Pathway also includes the module ‘Your own practice’
- During this module, you will learn to master your own work, compete in a digital world and effectively market yourself and your work
- Your expert trainers will provide you with the skills to respond to client’s briefs, meet business needs and deal with feedback
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
The duration for the course is maximum 27 months. As a self-paced online course, the time it will take you to complete is flexible and dependent on ability and time available.
Recognition Of Prior Learning
We understand that you may already have many skills and areas of expertise that you have obtained in different ways and these are recognised through our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.
Open Colleges has developed an RPL application kit for this course.
The Student Handbook, available in the Key Student Information section of our website, provides more information about our RPL process. Alternatively, you can contact an Enrolment Consultant to discuss your RPL options.
- Multiple-choice questions
- Portfolio of evidence
- Scenario-based questions
- Short-answer questions
- Visual diaries
- Written reports
You will complete the Graphic Design Essentials first and then progress to the Diploma of Graphic Design.
Once you are enrolled in this course, you will receive access to the first Module, which contains the first set of units for the course. When you have successfully completed those units, you’ll be given access to the next Module.
Open Colleges may make changes to the course from time to time to reflect changes introduced to the relevant Training Package or other regulatory requirements.
- Research type as visual communication
- Analyse design needs
- Develop ideas for typographic solutions
- Manipulate and integrate type
- Integrate type within the overall design
- Evaluate typographic design solutions
- Analyse design needs
- Develop and refine ideas for graphics
- Manipulate graphic objects
- Finalise technical aspects of graphics work
- Evaluate graphics work
- Research information on colour theory and design processes
- Communicate ideas through the application of colour and design theory
- Evaluate design work
- Select focus for research
- Conduct critical analysis
- Present ideas about visual communication history and theory
- Develop own practice from research
- Evaluate the role of drawing in professional practice
- Support practice through experimentation with drawing and visual representation
- Develop individual approach to use of drawing
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)