Why should you up sticks and move to Brisbane to complete your higher education? Well, Brisbane is one of the biggest and most popular cities in Australia. It’s got a stable economy and good employment opportunities for qualified students. The Brisbane TAFE institutes themselves have good reputations for quality courses, both locally and internationally. Like a handful of other Australian cities, it’s been rated a global city (vitally important in the global economy) and has been rated one of the most livable cities in the world.
What else does Brisbane offer TAFE students? Let’s find out.
Popular TAFE Courses in Brisbane
- Diploma of Counselling
- Certificate in Bookkeeping
- Certificate III in Education Support (Teacher’s Aide)
- Certificate III in Aged Care
- Certificate IV in Bookkeeping
- Certificate II in Nail Technology
- Certificate IV in Small Business Management
- Diploma of Events
- Certificate III in Disability
What TAFE Study Options are Available to Me in Brisbane?
Technical and Further Education (TAFE) and Vocational Education and Training (VET) opportunities abound in Brisbane. It starts with VET in Schools (VETiS) and pre-apprenticeships and works up to TAFE advanced diplomas and pathways to bachelor degrees.
It doesn’t matter what career you’re interested in you, or what hobby you want to learn, the variety of courses available in Brisbane covers every study field imaginable, from interior design to welding.
Semester courses are available online and on-campus. Application and registration dates may vary from institute to institute so you will have to keep an eye on the websites and make a note of relevant dates. One of the important things to remember about semester courses is that they follow inflexible schedules, so if you miss the registration date, you’ll set your studies back by six months to a year.
TAFE short courses in Brisbane serve many different purposes. For example, you could take a six-week course on baking purely because you enjoy it. Or you could use the same six-week course as a basis to start your own catering company, or as a pathway to a more in-depth certificate course in catering and hospitality.
Some accredited short courses also meet continuing professional development requirements, so you can advance your knowledge at the same time as advancing your career.
Unless you intend studying full-time straight out of school, chances are that you won’t have time to physically attend all of your classes. Fortunately, modern educational environments are well aware of this and offer the majority of their courses on an online or correspondence basis.
It’s important to note that some courses aren’t particularly well-suited to a purely online format. Some TAFE institutes in Brisbane make allowances for this by offering hybrid courses. That is, courses with online and practical requirements, like practical weekends. You will have to make allowances for this when planning your studies around your work and family life.
TAFE Queensland Brisbane
After the recent merging of most of the TAFE institutes in Queensland, TAFE Queensland Brisbane was born. whether you’re living in the city or want access to the quality courses on offer via distance learning, TAFE Queensland Brisbane has the lot. It has a number of different campus locations throughout the area, including:
- South Bank Campus- offers over 200 different courses ranging from short courses and Statement of Attainment through to Bachelor Degrees and Graduate Certificates and Diplomas. Study areas include building, business, community services, the arts, education, health, engineering, health, hospitality, beauty, IT and science.
- Alexandra Hills Campus- offering a bayside location, Alexandra Hills campus provides courses ranging from short courses through to a selection of Bachelor degrees across blended, in- class and online learning methods. Study areas cover business, community services, education, environment and agriculture, health and hospitality and beauty.
- Bracken Ridge Campus- just outside of the CBD, this campus has courses in areas such as business, community services, the arts, education, engineering, health, hospitality and beauty, IT and work preparation. Courses are available up to a Diploma and Bachelor degree qualification.
- Caboolture Campus- study areas include business, community services, education, agriculture, health, hospitality, beauty and IT. Courses can be up to a Bachelor Degree depending on the subject area.
- Grovely Campus- Courses are available up to a Diploma level in areas such as business and management, building, community services, the arts, education, environment and agriculture and health.
- Loganlea Campus- With a range of courses in qualifications such as Certificate, Diploma and Bachelor Degrees, Loganlea is one of TAFE Queensland Brisbane’s more popular, with courses focusing on business and community services and sports. Other areas include the arts, education, health, IT and hospitality and beauty.
- Mount Gravatt Campus- offering the best of both worlds by being located 20 minutes from the CBD, this campus offers courses in areas including business, community services, education, health, agriculture, hospitality and beauty and IT. Qualification levels range from short courses and Statements of Attainment through to Advanced Diploma.
- Redcliffe Campus- Courses at TAFE Brisbane are available up to a Diploma level, and include areas of study such as business and management, community services, the arts, education, health, hospitality and IT.
Brisbane for Students
Rest assured that when it’s time to put away your books and take a well-deserved study break, Brisbane has plenty of things to see and do to keep you entertained, whether your interests lie in sports, culture, shopping, or cuisine. From a student’s perspective, Brisbane is one of the most accommodating cities in the world. Public transport is reliable, entertainment is affordable, and the climate and landscape are conducive to a range of outdoor activities.
TAFE institutes in Brisbane offer students a number of different state funding options. Visit our Guide to TAFE courses in Queensland to find out more about which programs best suit you.