Some of these learning institutions include:
- University of Technology Sydney, which has a Business School that offers a Master of Professional Accounting degree program which includes an extended degree and a graduate certificate in professional accounting. The University of Technology Sydney also has Master of Business in Accounting Information Systems, Master of Business in Accounting and Finance courses.
- University of Sydney offers a Master of Professional Accounting program that includes courses on managerial accounting and decision making, advanced financial reporting and the legal environment of business. It also provides the basis for accreditation by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA) and CPA Australia.
Management accountants can oversee the accounts for one company or they can work for accounting firms, compiling accounts for numerous clients. The level of pay and the levels of stress are roughly the same no matter which option you choose. For example, a major international corporation based in Sydney may have an entire management accounting department to keep all their records in check; whereas a medium-sized accounting firm might have one management accountant juggling 10 clients (truth be told, a management accountant at an international corporation probably out-earns the guy working for the medium-sized company).
It’s possible to work and study management accounting at the same time, but your responsibilities will be limited until you have your degree. For example, you won’t be able to sign off completed accounts until you have at least an undergraduate degree and are a member of at least one regulatory authority.
Associations governing management accounting in Sydney, Australia
- The Institute of Certified Management Accountants (ICMA) is an international organisation with an Australian chapter. It offers postgraduate level membership (Certified Management Accountant – CMA); graduate level membership (Associate Management Accountant – AMA – and Graduate Management Accountant – GMA); technical level membership (Registered Cost Accountant – RCA – Registered Business Administrator – RBA – and Certified Accounting Technician – CAT); and affiliate level membership (Management Accounting Affiliate – MAA). It offers nationally and internationally accredited management accounting education programs and courses and requires members to commit to continuous professional development (CPD).
- The Association of Taxation and Management Accountants (ATMA) offer membership to small business accountants; taxation, management accounting and small business management professionals; and management accountants in commerce and government.
- The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) is an international professional body with chapters in several locations in Australia, including NSW, Queensland, Western Australia, ACT, and South Australia.
If you want to attain high ranking jobs as a management accountant in Sydney, you would do well to investigate the accounting courses available to ensure that not only is the learning institution reputable but that the study options available are nationally accredited. We offer accredited accounting courses in Sydney and throughout Australia.