Childcare is a rewarding career choice, and the CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care is recognised under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), meaning that your diploma will demonstrate to potential employers that you have achieved a certain level of training and study.
If you want to help children get a great start in life, then this course is perfect for you. It will teach you to develop strategies to provide and maintain healthy, safe and caring environments for children. With the CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care, you will learn how to design and implement educational programs that will stimulate learning and development, and get the skills you need to foster the holistic wellbeing of children.
You’ll also learn fundamental management skills, so you can move into more senior roles.
You don’t need previous experience in childcare to enrol, all you need is to be over 18 years of age and have completed year 10 or a Certificate II or higher.
Who's It For?
- It's perfect for people wanting to start their career in childhood education, as well as for those looking for a qualification that will enable career progression into management roles
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Children’s Advisor
- Children’s Service Director
- Children’s Service Manager
- Group/Team Coordinator (Children’s Services)
- Group/Team Leader (Children’s Services)
- OOSH Coordinator (In states where the qualification is recognised as appropriate)
What You'll Learn
- The course will cover the basics of childcare, and move through to more advanced education theory and practice.
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration Study Load
- Maximum 24 months
- 240 hours of work placement
You will need to have completed year 10, or equivalent. Equivalency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- A qualification at Certificate II level or higher OR
- 2 years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
You will need to be at least 18 years old.
If you are below 18 years of age, you might be considered if your 18th birthday is within 6 months of enrolment. You will not be able to commence work placement until you turn 18.
This course involves reading and undertaking a range of written assessments, as well as engaging in online forums and discussions. Furthermore, the delivery mode relies on the extensive use of written communication. As such, entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 10 level.
If you haven’t successfully completed English at Year 10 level, you can demonstrate equivalency through one of the following:
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate II level or higher; or
- 2 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication
After enrolling in this course and completing the first module, you’re eligible for a FREE one year membership to Early Childhood Australia (ECA), Australia’s peak child care body, worth over $150!
The course contains a minimum of 240 hours of work placement.
Your work placement will need to be conducted in a registered child care facility, supervised by a qualified staff member. You will also need to secure your own Work Placement, however Open Colleges can provide advice and direction through our Work Placement Support Team.
There are a number of statutory checks required by workplaces, such as a Criminal Record Check. These may vary by state. In addition, individual workplaces may impose additional requirements on students undertaking work placement. You will be responsible for the costs of any such checks or requirements. Please see the Workplace Assessment Guide for details on the individual statutory requirements for your state or territory.
You will also need to complete a First Aid Certificate to demonstrate competency for HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting at your own cost prior to completing your course.
- Practical assessments
- Short-answer questions
- Video/Audio recording
- Workplace assessments
- Workplace portfolio
- Foster creativity through the physical environment
- Foster creativity through the human environment
- Foster creativity through a learning framework
- Provide experiences
- Evaluate experiences
- Establish a learning environment that reflects children’s interests
- Provide opportunities that stimulate learning and development
- Design, implement and evaluate learning experiences for children
- Support children to participate
- Develop a sustainability management plan
- Support children to develop an understanding and respect for the natural environment
- Support others in implementing sustainable practice
- Embed sustainability into service policies and procedures
- Support each child’s health needs
- Provide for each child’s comfort
- Promote and implement effective hygiene practices
- Take steps to control the spread of infectious diseases
- Ensure adequate supervision of children
- Take precaution to protect children from harm
- Develop plans to effectively manage incidents and emergencies
- Perform administration activities in line with legislative and organisational requirements
- Record required information using appropriate forms
- Follow organisational requirements for taxation and insurance
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)